Little Milford, Milford Haven

Little Milford, Milford Haven



William Payne (1760-1830)
Little Milford, Milford Haven

Signed lower right: 1791/W. Payne and signed or inscribed verso: Little Milford, Milford Haven/By W. Payne 1791
Pen and grey ink and watercolour over traces of pencil, with black ink border
13 by 17.1 cm., 5 by 6 3/4 in.

Little Milford is now a quiet, largely wooded area which lies on the banks of the Western Cleddau river, between Haverford West and Milford Haven. It was a small local shipping place, which during the 18th and 19th Centuries, was transformed into one of the main ports for exporting coal from the Pembrokeshire coalfields. With the decline of the mining industry in the 20th century, however, and the closure of the Pembrokeshire collieries in 1947, Little Milford reverted back to its quiet origins.