The Church of our Lady, Nuremberg

The Church of our Lady, Nuremberg


Thomas Shotter Boys (1803-1874)
The Church of our Lady, Nuremberg

Signed and inscribed lower left,
T Boys Nuremberg
Watercolour over pencil heightened with white
52 by 41.3 cm., 20 ½ by 16 ¼ in.

Marcus Ford, his sale, Christie's 29th March 1983, lot 152;
Anonymous sale, Sotheby's 28 November 2002, lot 323;
Private collection

The Frauenkirke, or the Church of our Lady, stands on the east side of the main market square in Nuremberg. It was built between 1352 and 1362 on the orders of Emperor Charles IV, who intended that the church also beused for important ceremonial purposes, which accounts for the balcony on top of the large entrance porch. The church was almost completely destroyed by Allied bombing in the Second World War with only the nave and the facade (visible in this watercolour) remaining. The church was rebuilt by 1953.

Boys undertook an extended tour of Germany during 1842 and 1843, when his sister Mary and brother-in-law William John Cooke moved there. The visit proved of lasting inspiration to Boys, who continued to produce watercolours based on this visit throughout the rest of his career; he exhibited a watercolour entitled Nuremberg, at the New Watercolour Society in 1864.